The Vodka God (allah_sulu) wrote,
The Vodka God

Birthday Weekend, Part Five

After leaving Wilmette (see the previous installments), Dawn and I went back to our hotel in Indiana (where we failed to find any Wisconsin legislators) to chill and change before going to see Help Me Mommy's Rocky Horror show in Hobert, IN. Since the show actually started after midnight, on Sunday 20 February 2011, it was officially my birthday and thus partial justification for taking a six-day weekend from work (it would have already been a three-day weekend due to Presidents' Day) for a Midwestern road trip.

The pictures below with the orange border were taken by Dawn; the ones with a blue border by me.

Ed got the opening formalities over and done with far quicker than some emcees I could name, so we weren't still waiting at 1:30 AM for the lights to go down and the movie to start. The challenge the (18+ yo) virgins faced was to unsnap the bras of four volunteers (from the cast and/or audience) as quickly as possible, and they were being timed.

They were quite proud of their new tank, which had only been finished a couple of weeks earlier and disassembled quickly and easily for transport through the doorway to backstage storage. I chatted with their tech guy for a while about it.

Dawn caught me in the picture above, which makes only two pictures (if I recall correctly) of me taken all weekend. I'm the one sitting in front of her in the camouflage t-shirt. Below is a close-up of the shirt's camouflage pattern:

There were also a few movies shot by me or Dawn, but they didn't come out as well as the Little Shop of Horrors videos because we were further from the stage here, and it was darker.

After the show, we went back to our room to crash before hitting the road for the drive back. We went to a few places that weekend, but we got the hotel as close to the Rocky Horror theater as possible so we wouldn't have a long drive after the show (which both of usually have, since neither of us lives in the same state as the show we most often attend).

When we got up and checked out of the hotel it was raining. We stopped by a Portillo's restaurant (half a mile from our hotel; that street had one of almost every chain restaurant in existence) where I picked up a big order of food (a catering box plus some frozen tamales) to go for Q's parents. (They're originally from Chicago, and like to have some Portillo's when they get the chance.) We took one day to drive all the way from the East Coast to Indiana, but we were taking two days to drive back, with an overnight stay at my in-laws'. (One of the people who was originally supposed to come with us on the trip but backed out lived not too far away from Q's parents, so that was the other reason we'd planned on the Ohio stop.) Anyway, it rained all day; and as night fell and temperatures dropped, the rain started turning to ice on the roads and windshield wipers. It was getting really nasty by the time we got to Q's parents, who immediately insisted on going back out again to take me to dinner for my birthday…

These pictures were all taken by me.

This was what faced us Monday morning, when I went out to start up Dawn's car and scrape the ice off. Everything was coated in ice (but I only slipped twice) and it took me over five minutes just to get her car door opened. We had been discussing worst-case scenarios the night before, and neither of us would have gotten into any serious trouble had we been trapped for a day in Ohio. I didn't have to be back to work until Wednesday, and with the storm heading eastward my son Richard's school would almost certainly be closed on Tuesday, and I had shown up there with a buttload of food so it's not like we would have starved. Still, at this point the storm had passed us, and we'd heard that the roads were good once we got out of the neighborhoods and onto the highway.

It didn't take us too long to catch up with the storm again. Rain at first, but also a lot of freezing rain, sleet, ice and/or snow as the day progressed. Originally, since we were taking two days for our return trip, we'd planned to get off the Turnpike for part of the drive to see a sight or two on the way back. The weather cancelled those plans; we just drove and drove carefully.

Night fell and the rain turned to ice and snow, which made the steep and winding roads through the mountains to Dawn's house in Pennsylvania all sorts of fun. After dropping her off, and getting into my car for the final, solo leg of the journey back to Maryland, driving conditions improved slightly once I got back onto the main highways. The first leg of the return trip into Pennsylvania was eastward; but after a while of driving south into Maryland the weather improved. Seems the worst of the storm passed north of us (although Richard's school was still closed on Tuesday). So I spent the day relaxing and getting caught up with my family before returning to work on Wednesday (and then starting the long process of winnowing down hundreds of photos in the final collection posted herein).

The End.

Tags: car, family, geekery, holiday, pictures, plug, rocky horror, school, show tunes, work
  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded